CAIDA's passive datasets contain traces collected from two high-speed monitors on a commercial backbone link (equinix-chicago and equinix-sanjose) since April 2008. This data is useful for research on the characteristics of Internet traffic, including application breakdown, security events, geographic and topological distribution, flow volume and duration.
The CAIDA Anonymized Internet Traces 2012 Dataset
This dataset contains anonymized passive traffic traces from CAIDA's equinix-chicago and equinix-sanjose monitors on high-speed Internet backbone links. This data is useful for research on the characteristics of Internet traffic, including application breakdown, security events, topological distribution, and flow volume and duration.
Traffic traces in this dataset are anonymized using CryptoPan prefix-preserving anonymization. All traces in this dataset are anonymized with the same key. In addition, the payload has been removed from all packets.
The Endace network cards used to record these traces provide timestamps with nanosecond precision. However, the anonymized traces are stored in pcap format with timestamps truncated to microseconds. The original nanosecond timestamps are provided as separate ascii files alongside the pcap files.
We are aware that some data in this dataset contains more then trivial amounts of packet loss; this has especially been an issue for equinix-chicago direction B. Due to the way the monitoring equipment is set up the synchronization between directions we don't know how well-aligned both directions of a single link are for the equinix-chicago setup. More information on this in the README file in the dataset.
CAIDA makes near-realtime traffic reports available from its passive monitors.
Acceptable Use Agreement
Access to these data is subject to the terms of the following CAIDA Acceptable Use Agreement (printable version in PDF format)
When referencing this data (as required by the AUA), please use:The CAIDA UCSD Anonymized Internet Traces 2012 - <insert dates used here>Also, please, report your publication to CAIDA.
Request Data Access
Request Access to the CAIDA Anonymized Internet Traces 2012 Dataset and other Anonymized Internet Traces Datasets
Anonymized Internet Traces Datasets
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2016 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2015 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2014 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2013 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2012 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2011 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2010 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2009 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces 2008 Dataset
- Anonymized Internet Traces on IPv6 Day and IPv6 Launch Day Dataset
- Anonymized Industry Evaluation Internet Traces Dataset
- Anonymized OC48 Internet Traces Dataset
- Summary statistical information for all anonymized internet traces
The data collection monitors