Re: MPLS & NetFlow

From: Pierre Vander Vorst (pvanderv@cisco.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 02:12:06 PDT

    Hi,

    Please see answer inline ...

    > Now the Questions:
    > 1) Is this done via NetFlow export V6??

    No, NetFlow V6 is an engineering version that has been developped
    for one customer only. This version is not to be used, not supported
    at all.

    > 2) What's "different" between V5 & V6??

    See above. The version to be used is V5 or V8 if you need router aggregation.

    > 3) Does NetFlow Collector V3 see different information
    > that cflowd won't see??

    I don't know what cflowd can see, but NFC3 will collect/aggregate the
    full NetFlow records. You may find a good white paper at

      http://www.cisco.com/go/netflow

    And the NFC doc at

      http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/index.htm

    Now, let's go back to your question about VRF's. NetFlow is not VRF's
    aware. The VRF's are not included in the NetFlow records, which is the
    reason why you need a tool knowing the topology of the network (VPNSC).
    If a PE exports the NetFlow data, VPNSC will correlate the interface number
    and the VRF topology. In other words, VPNSC knows what are the VPN's that
    have been provisioned on all the PE's (interfaces included). So VPNSC will
    be able to determine the VRF the flow is belonging to knowing that the
    flow is coming from a particular PE, through a particular interface.

    Hope it answers your question,

    Pierre