Re: Netflow Switching and Cisco routers

From: Jeffrey Papen (jpapen@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 08:31:31 PDT

    Another thing that will help 7500s (if you have VIPS) is CEF and DCEF. This drops the CPU on the RSP to 2-3% but the VIPs will run upwards of 80%. 7500 will run just fine in my experience with ip route cache flow and CEF together.

    - Jeffrey

    "Neil J. McRae" wrote:

    > Frank,
    > The golden rules we have with cisco boxes is buy the fastest box
    > and put as much memory in as you can it. We suffered with SRAM issues in
    > VIP2/50's and ever since that I've not take any chances.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Neil.
    >
    > [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I am wondering on what kind of equipment you are running netflow switching.
    > > We were advised that turning on netflow switching on our router, the cpu
    > > load would go up by as much as 50 %. Obviously our 7XXX series cannot handle
    > > that on high speeds (E3 and up). Our GSR's do not have problem running it
    > > though.
    > >
    > > just like to hear from people that are running netflow switching with for
    > > example OC3 's on 7XXX and what you're experiences are? Any recommend
    > > configurations in terms of hardware and memory?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > > Frank

    > > Frank Hellemink
    > > Chello Broadband
    > > Design & Engineering
    > >
    > > fhellemink@chello.com

    Yahoo Network Engineering
    email: jeffrey@papen.com         beep: page-jeffrey@papen.com
    work: 408-616-3897               fax:  408-530-5307
    cell: 650-580-2684               page: 408-619-0572
    Yahoo Messenger ID: jpapen