Antwort: Netflow Switching and Cisco routers

From: Klaus.Thielking-Riechert@consors.de
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 00:50:29 PDT

    Frank,

    > I am wondering on what kind of equipment you are running netflow switching.
    > We were advised that turning on netflow switching on our router, the cpu
    > load would go up by as much as 50 %. Obviously our 7XXX series cannot handle
    > that on high speeds (E3 and up). Our GSR's do not have problem running it
    > though.

    it is not a matter of the interfaces you are using. The performance impact
    depends much more on the packet rate and the flow rate on your box and
    if you are using distributed or non-distributed switching.

    Talking about the 75xx it is possible to forward about 100.000 pps per
    using NetFlow in a non-distributed way with several OC-3 AIPs and
    an RSP2. But this is much more the limit of the RSP2 than the one of
    the router. As Jeffrey already mentioned on the list, it makes much more
    sense when using VIPs and NetFlow in a distributed way together with
    CEF.

    The GSR itself hat a distributed architecture therefore the accounting
    is made on the line cards. But even there 100.000 pps could block a Engine 0
    card when using non-sampled NetFlow accounting.

    Best regards,

         Klaus