FlowScan w/cflowd-2-1-b1 (was "Re: cflowd patches")

From: Dave Plonka (plonka@doit.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 02 2000 - 07:16:54 PST

    Current cflowd and/or prospective FlowScan users,

    I recently received the message below informing me of the recent
    cflowd-2-1-b1 release:

       ftp://ftp.caida.org/pub/cflowd/cflowd-2-1-b1.tar.gz

    This was the first I had heard of it.
    In response, I've tested my cflowd patch against cflowd-2-1-b1 and all
    seems well, so I've updated the patch name and README accordingly:

       http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/cflowd/

    I've responded to his questions below:
    (I've Bcc'ed the sender.)

    On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 12:00:10PM +0100, someone wrote:

    > I have a question regarding the cflowd patches, because
    > I want to install FlowScan.
    >
    > On your page http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/cflowd/?M=D
    > are the two version of the patch:
    > cflowd-2-1-a6-djp.patch and cflowd-2-1-a9-djp.patch
    >
    > But on the page you have linked to get the cflowd itself
    > ftp://ftp.caida.org/pub/cflowd/ there is only the newest
    > version of cflowd: cflowd-2-1-b1.tar.gz .
    >
    > Will your patch work on that version?

    I have seen good results in my initial testing by applying my
    "cflowd-2-1-a9-djp.patch" to the "cflowd-2-1-b1" sources. I've only
    done run-time testing with it for a whopping 5 minutes or so.

    > Or can I somewhere get the older version of cflowd?

    I have placed the older cflowd distributions in the "old" sub-dirs
    under the directory where I distribute the patches:

       http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka/cflowd/old/

    However, because of the semaphore-related race condition fix that has
    been much discussed in the cflowd list and that Daniel has integrated
    in 2-1-b1, I suggest using 2-1-b1, and only fall back to older releases
    if you find problems (with my patch, etc.).

    If you have further information or questions please follow-up to either
    or both of the mailing lists as appropriate.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    --
    plonka@doit.wisc.edu  http://net.doit.wisc.edu/~plonka  ARS:N9HZF  Madison, WI