Re: IfIndex issues on Cisco Cat 6000 w/MSFC

From: David Spindler (spindler@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2000 - 16:25:40 PST

    I am not sure of the tread you are talking of, but ....

    The 6000 is designed to use MLS which exports flows with the IfIndex of the
    switch port.

    Netflow export from the MSFC router will have the correct IfIndex but will only
    have one packet per flow.
    NDE from the Sup will export MLS entries, but the IfIndex is that of the
    port.
    In order to get L3 stats (a la MRTG) with trunking enabled we had to write some
    creative code that looks at the incoming port and the source/dest IP addresses.

    David Spindler
    Network Analyst
    University of Texas at Austin
    512-475-9299