Re: IfIndex issues on Cisco Cat 6000 w/MSFC

From: Jeffrey Papen (jpapen@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Tue Nov 07 2000 - 10:23:22 PST

    I'm doing identical polling and have not experienced problems with ifIndex not matching up. However, I have had long talks w/ Cisco about the MSFC switching method only allowing for the first packet of any flow to be recorded and then having the rest switched at layer2 (outside NetFlow's view).

    The way I solved this was using the 64 bit HC counters to poll the Gig interfaces corresponding to the uplinks I'm getting NetFlow data from. I use NetFlow to calculate a rough % and then multiply this by the SNMP MB/sec average for an average Mb/sec to a given AS.

    Hope this helps,
    - Jeffrey

    David Spindler wrote:

    > I am not sure of the tread you are talking of, but ....
    >
    > The 6000 is designed to use MLS which exports flows with the IfIndex of the
    > switch port.
    >
    > Netflow export from the MSFC router will have the correct IfIndex but will only
    > have one packet per flow.
    > NDE from the Sup will export MLS entries, but the IfIndex is that of the
    > port.
    > In order to get L3 stats (a la MRTG) with trunking enabled we had to write some
    > creative code that looks at the incoming port and the source/dest IP addresses.
    >
    > David Spindler
    > Network Analyst
    > University of Texas at Austin
    > 512-475-9299
    > 512-415-1434
    >
    > On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Hales, Kevin wrote:
    >
    > > I am new to the list and I was told that there was a thread regarding flow
    > > information exported from Cisco 6000 MSFC VLAN interfaces. The IfIndex
    > > displayed by an snmpwalk does not seem to correlate to the IfIndex in the
    > > flow.
    > >
    > > The thread hasn't made it to the archives yet if it exists. Is there anyone
    > > that has saved the thread that could mail it to me?
    > >
    > > -kh
    > >

    > > --
    > > Kevin Hales
    > > Sr. Network Engineer
    > > MSDW Online
    > > (801) 902-6702
    > > mailto:kevin.hales@msdw.com
    > >
    > > --

    Yahoo Network Engineering
    email: jeffrey@papen.com         beep: page-jeffrey@papen.com
    work: 408-616-3897               fax:  408-530-5307
    cell: 650-580-2684               page: 408-619-0572
    Yahoo Messenger ID: jpapen