Re: IfIndex issues on Cisco Cat 6000 w/MSFC

From: Jeffrey Papen (jpapen@yahoo-inc.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 16:08:30 PST

    We run only IP traffic. I'm not sure how DecNet or other protocols would work out. Unfortunately, my stats are far from perfect because NetFlow will only see the first packet. Everything else in the flow is hardware switched at layer 2. For perfect stats, I would need to have a GSR or some other layer3 only router that will pass all packets through the ip route-cache flow collecting.

    - Jeffrey

    Andrew Fort wrote:

    > > I'm doing identical polling and have not experienced problems
    > > with ifIndex not matching up. However, I have had long talks
    > > w/ Cisco about the MSFC switching method only allowing for
    > > the first packet of any flow to be recorded and then having
    > > the rest switched at layer2 (outside NetFlow's view).
    > >
    > > The way I solved this was using the 64 bit HC counters to
    > > poll the Gig interfaces corresponding to the uplinks I'm
    > > getting NetFlow data from. I use NetFlow to calculate a
    > > rough % and then multiply this by the SNMP MB/sec average for
    > > an average Mb/sec to a given AS.
    >
    > Is all of your traffic hardware switched? If not, how do you handle the
    > flows which are always software switched (DECnet traffic, for instance) in
    > your calculations (this is difficult only if you mix IP and DECnet traffic
    > routed on the same interface)?
    >
    > --
    > afort

    Yahoo Network Engineering
    email: jeffrey@papen.com         beep: page-jeffrey@papen.com
    work: 408-616-3897               fax:  408-530-5307
    cell: 650-580-2684               page: 408-619-0572
    Yahoo Messenger ID: jpapen