Re: IfIndex issues on Cisco Cat 6000 w/MSFC

From: David Spindler (spindler@mail.utexas.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 18:18:45 PST

    I was thinking on this topic and came up with the list of things to do on a 6500
    to get stats on a per vlan basis (which cisco will not give you)

    1. Get NDE stats from MSFC(router) on a per interface basis (this works by
    default)

    2. Get NDE stats from Sup(switch) on a per port basis and convert to a per
    interface basis. You must enable S-D flow mode on the switch. IT also requires a
    mapping of ports to vlan. However if you use trunking (and most users do) then a
    port will not map to a single vlan so.....

    2a. Use the rout tables to help predict on what vlan traffic is on based on
    the S/D IP address. For many networks this is fairly static. However spoofed
    address will cause a problem (as will multicast). Cisco's RPF check can help
    prevent spoofing, but it does not work with MLS (yet).

    3. Combine the NDE data from the router to help predict what ports the traffic
    on the switch is using. The router gives the source/destination address and
    vlan. You can keep this information around for a while and if you get a flow
    from the switch with the same ip information you can predict that the vlan
    information is the same. The switch maximum flow time (set mls agingtime
    long: hidden command) will have to be set about the same as the routers and you
    will have to manage a fairly large cache, but this should work regardless.

    We have several 6500 in our core and we use a combination of all the methods but
    #3 to obtain L3 stats. If #3 works it might be the best since you don't have to
    worry about changing route table etc..

    David Spindler
    University of Texas at Austin
    512-475-9299