RE: UDP packet loss from routers

From: Martin_Nieuwelaar@infonet-europe.com
Date: Thu Feb 15 2001 - 02:01:36 PST

    Hi Danielle,

    Only have a moment to reply to your question...

    CFlowd does record lost Netflow export packets (which are UDP) if you are
    using version 5 exports (actually anything after version 1 I think). You
    configure the minimum number of missing flows you want to be alerted of in
    one of the cflowd config files (cflowd.conf), and if more than this number
    go missing within the cfdcollect poll interval then it gets reported to
    syslogd, typically appearing in /var/log/messages.

    If on the other hand, you mean counts of dropped UDP packets by the router
    when it's routing, then, no. It's not present in the Netflow exports, and
    hence not available to CFlowd.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    "Buying a car because it's reliable is like marrying
    someone because they are punctual" - Jeremy Clarkson