Re: What ifIndex number should netflow stats appear on?

From: Pierre Vander Vorst (pvanderv@cisco.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 2001 - 07:17:46 PST

    Hi Martin,

    This is a good question. The whole story is this one...

    First of all, you're facing this bug/feature :

      CSCds01865 : Delete the cef-layer entries in the ifTable

      Release Note : As part of adding the BGP-POLICY-ACCOUNTING-MIB
                     a new layer was added to the ifTable--the cef-layer.

      Integrated : 12.0(13.06)ST 12.0(12.06)S01 12.0(13.01)S 12.0(12.06)SC01

    The bug was raised in order to remove this additional ifIndex. This
    has been done by changing the implementation of the
    BGP-POLICY-ACCOUNTING-MIB and referencing the BPA point to the
    physical interface instead. It's fixed in the 'Integrated' releases
    listed above.

    The second part of your email is due to the way NetFlow was originally
    implemented, where indeed the netflow export data had the ifIndex
    of the ATM main interface. It should be the sub-interface ifIndex instead.

    This has been corrected since 12.0(1)T.

    So the answers are

     - it's the IOS
     - it behaves differently in 11.x and 12.x
     - it should work properly with 12.x, but you may face CSCds01865

    Hope it helps,

    Pierre