Re: [Re: Packet Loss via Netflow]

From: Jesper Skriver (jesper@skriver.dk)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 23:19:31 PST

    On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:47:44PM -0800, Steve Cerruti wrote:
    > Do I correctly understand your response as a way to measure loss of the actual
    > netflow packets themselves?
    >
    > I am interested in knowing if there is a way to determine network packet loss
    > using netflow packets. In other words, how does a router represent the loss
    > and possible subsequent retransmission of a packet. Does it expire the current
    > flow and start a new flow?

    No, as flow's are defined as traffic from a source ip address / port
    number til a destination ip address / port number.

    > Are the resent packets added to the total of the affected flow or ignored?

    Added, the router has no way of telling if it's a retransmission.

    > Are there any separate counters in netflow of lost packets?

    No, how should the router be able to tell if a packet is going to be
    lost, or if a packet the router didn't recieve was ever sent.

    /Jesper

    Work:    Network manager   @ AS3292 (Tele Danmark DataNetworks)
    Private: FreeBSD committer @ AS2109 (A much smaller network ;-)