Re: How do I put cflowdmux, cflowd &cfdcollect in my startup

From: R. Drew Davis (drew@research.bell-labs.com)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 12:40:34 PDT

    > Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
    > From: Liger-dc <liger_dc@yahoo.com>
    > To: Cflowd <cflowd@caida.org>, redhat-install-list@redhat.com
    > Subject: How do I put cflowdmux, cflowd &cfdcollect in my startup
    >
    >I have these 3 programs cflowdmux, cflowd and flowscan that I want in startup.
     So that whenever
    >the computer is rebooted these programs run automatically without having to be
     reloaded.

    >=====
    >Edson Manners
    >Academic Computing & Networking Services
    >Florida State University

    You didn't say what kind of OS you want to start them on.
    Assuming its a UNIX system, it is probably worth noting that if you set up
    the permissions and ownership right, you don't have to have the cflowd
    suite running as root. I have a very simple start-up script that I run
    by hand after a reboot.

    cflow.start begin 8<---- cut here --------------------------------------------
    #!/bin/ksh
            cd ~drew/src/cflowd-2.0/arts/sbin
            ./cflowdmux
            sleep 2
            ./cflowd
            sleep 2
            ./cfdcollect ~drew/src/cflowd-2.0/arts/etc/cfdcollect.conf
    cflow.start end 8<---cut here ---------------------------------------------

    The sleeps are to give each piece a chance to get started before the
    next piece tries to connect to it. The 2 seconds may need adjustment,
    depending on the speed and load of your system, but the 2 worked fine for
    me on a Solaris 2.6 system here.

    You might want to embellish that script e.g. with su commands so root
    can invoke it and still start the processes up as non-root processes.
    And then see "man init.d" (Solaris) "man initscript" (Red Hat 6.2)
    or talk to someone with some UNIX experience for info on how to get
    that script to run automatically at start-up time.

    Last October, Chas Wareing published to the list his flowstart script,
    which remains available at:

            http://c3w.org/source/cflowd/flowstart

    I haven't used his script myself, but it looks clean and a bit more
    sophisticated then the simple few lines I've given above. His suggestion
    is to run the script from cron once/minute. His script looks to see
    that cflowd is still running and tries to restart it if it has died.
    If you don't know about cron, then talk to someone with some UNIX experience.

    I hope that helps.

    Drew

    R. Drew Davis, Room MH 2C-302A E-mail: drew@bell-labs.com
    Bell Laboratories Voice: 908-582-7280
    600 Mountain Ave. Fax: 908-582-3340
    Murray Hill, NJ 07974

    Bell Laboratories: The Research & Development Unit of Lucent Technologies.