NDE and MPLS

From: Gustavo Torres (torres@optiglobe.com.br)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 13:54:17 PDT

    I took part on Networkers 2001 last month, and a question remains open:
    - what if I'm using MPLS, will NDE report flow information correctly?
    Any guesses?

    --
    Gustavo Torres
    Senior Network Management Architect

    Tel: +55 11 33654469 Fax: +55 11 33654445 Cel: +55 11 92660684

    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:42:34 -0700 From: Jeffrey Papen <jpapen@yahoo-inc.com> To: Mark Fullmer <maf@eng.oar.net> Cc: "'dproscin@oracle.com'" <dproscin@oracle.com>, cflowd@caida.org Subject: Re: NDE Version 7 (Cat 6509)

    Very bad news folks for NetFlow on the newer 6509.

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/ioft/neflct/tech/napps_wp.htm

    the above URL details all of the fields in a Version 7 flow that are set to zero. They include next_hop_ip, both source and destination AS, source and destination port, source IP address, and protocol.

    my $soapbox = 1;

    Essentially, if you have a 6500 with a Sup 1a and MSFC1, you're golden. If you have a Sup2 w/ MSFC2 then NetFlow is dead to you. Cisco did the same thing when they added the 3 port Gig card to their GSR line. Cisco went to Netflow Version 8 which is an "aggregation" - read labotomization - of any useful flow data. It bums me out considerably that the only way Cisco makes their stuff faster is to strip out all of the features hardcore users require. What's next SNMP? How about ACLs?

    Thank God for Juniper! Cisco deserves to get their lunch eaten. When it happens, I'll dance a jig on the grave of the GSR.

    $soapbox = 0;

    - Jeffrey

    -- Yahoo! BGP/Peering Engineer email: jeffrey@papen.com beep: page-jeffrey@papen.com work: 408-349-3897 fax: 408-349-5307 cell: 650-580-2684 page: 877-701-1126 Yahoo Messenger ID: jpapen