Verification of correctness

From: Marcus C. Gottwald (mcg@condat.de)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 05:49:30 PDT

    Hi!

    One of our customers would like to see some sort of verification
    that the whole mechanism we use to do accounting (NetFlow,
    cflowd apps, some scripting, database) is reporting correct
    figures.

    We know that our parts are working fine :), but we'd like to
    show him an end-to-end proof.

    Is there an easy way to get the same figures the cflowd programs
    produce by looking at a counter or something? As far as I know
    (from this list, too) cflowd counts layer 3 payload, interface
    counters seem to look at layer 2 and Cisco "ip accounting" seems
    to count outgoing packets only (while NetFlow looks at incoming
    packets).

    We wouldn't mind if there was only a manual or "weird" way of
    getting the figures, this would be a one-time thing.

    Thanks for any hints!

    Marcus

    --
    Condat AG
    Alt-Moabit 90a | 10559 Berlin | Germany (CEST/GMT+2)