Re: Memory issues???

From: Goncalo Costa (goncalo.costa@kpnqwest.pt)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 07:54:47 PST

    >> > Hi Scott,
    >> >
    >> > There can be problems if you have defined a
    >> >
    >> > COLLECT: { protocol, ifmatrix, portmatrix, netmatrix, nexthop,
    >> > asmatrix, tos, flows }
    >> >
    >> > line in cflowd.conf for more than just flows, and you are not running
    >> > cfdcollect. cflowd writes the protocol, ifmatrix, etc. data to shared
    >> > memory, and expects cfdcollect to be freeing the memory after it
    >> > processes it and writes out the arts files.
    >> >
    >> > If all you are interested in doing is processing the flow files and
    >> > don't want to run cfdcollect (as you would do if you were running
    >> > FlowScan, for instance), in the COLLECT line only flows should be
    >> > defined.
    >> >
    >> > Now, if this is not what is happening in your case, I don't know what to
    >> > tell you, but that is the only cause of memory leaks I have heard of.

    Hello.

    I don't know if this solved your problem, but as far as I
    can remember cfdcollect and cflowd do _not_ share memory:
    - cflowdmux receives flows from the routers and stores them
      in shared memory
    - cflowd reads the flows from the shared memory
    - cfdcollect connects to cflowd via TCP/IP sockets and as such they
      can even run in separate machines

    You can even specify the port for cflowd to listen for connections
    from cfdcollect in cflowd.conf:

      # Listen for connections from cfdcollect on port 2056.
      TCPCOLLECTPORT: 2056

    I didn't look at the source though, so any comments would be appreciated.

    Thank you
    Goncalo