Re: [Cflowd] Inconsistant data

From: Martin van den Nieuwelaar (martin@gadgets.co.nz)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 15:13:23 PDT

    Shawn Armstrong wrote:
    > I've run into an inconsistancy that I can not explain, and was wondering
    > if someone may have some insight as to what's happening.
    >
    > I'm currently monitoring all the links out of my institution with MRTG
    > as well as running Cflowd. The graph created by MRTG shows current
    > traffic data as In: 40.1 Mb/s Out: 19.0 Mbps. Cflowd graphs show In:
    > 16.2 Mb/s Out: 12.1 Mb/s.
    > All the routers that I'm polling with MRTG are sending flow data to
    > Cflowd, so it's not an issue of routers being left out off the flow
    > data. Also, we are not a transit network, so that's not an issue.
    > Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,

    How are you creating CFlowd graphs? CFlowd doesn't produce graphs as
    standard.

    Depending on how many connections off your network you have it would
    be worth checking you are actually getting stats from every outward
    pointing interface.

    I think the issue may lie with how the graphs are being generated.
    ie. there may be a flaw in the way the collected data is turned into
    the graph. Garbage In, Garbage Out as they say.

    Regards,

    -Martin

    --
    Expert carrier network traffic analysis and visualisation
    http://www.networkintelligence.biz