COVID-19 Update: Between June 1 and September 1, employees will gradually be invited to return to campus for on-site work. Visit UC San Diego’s Return to Learn portal for the latest information for the campus community.
For the time being, all hiring will be done remotely, and work will be done on a hybrid schedule.
Career Job Postings
Postdoctoral Research Opportunities
If you have a specific project in mind that you’d like to collaborate with CAIDA on, you are welcome to submit your CV along with any materials (publications, code samples, references, etc) that would help us evaluate you for a postdoctoral research position here. Please send these materials along with a cover letter detailing the specific CAIDA projects in which you have interest to email@example.com
Graduate Student Internship Projects
Intern applications are currently accepted. In most cases, intern positions involve intensive coding for simulations of network models, and analysis of real network data. Successful interns may be later re-hired as postdocs.
Please also see our list of projects looking for students to see some work we’re hoping to get help on.
To apply for graduate student internship projects, send a cover letter (including a brief description of interests and skills) and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Student Job Postings
Undergraduate applications for available postings should be submitted through Handshake for consideration.
Per federal funding requirements of the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program, students must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or a Permanent Resident of the United States to be eligible for REU positions.
Filing Deadline: Saturday, August 27, 2022
Two quarter commitment, with possibility of extension.
The Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA) is seeking a Webmaster assistant (www.caida.org). Under supervision of the website administrator/UX Designer, the student will assist with website infrastructure and content maintenance, including but not limited to the following:
- Develop new responsive web design features for the website
- Implement responsive web design and web development best practices
- Update existing webpages under the guidance of Internet researchers at CAIDA
- Organize and taxonomize researcher-generated papers and slidesets interfacing with a custom webapp and git
- Modify and develop Python scripts to aid in the maintenance of the website.
- Check for and fix broken links and references to the website.
CAIDA’s primary website receives over 2,000 unique visitors (70,000+ hits) a day, making it one of the busier websites on campus. The website has been in production status for over 20 years and is migrating to a new infrastructure.
The website uses hybrid YAML and HTML or Markdown pages as the primary underlying framework for content, using the Hugo static site generator to compile them with a CSS Preprocessor (SASS) for styling. Some highly-visited sections of the website are generated entirely by webmaster-maintained Perl scripts. The 30,000+ files of the web tree are maintained in Git and SVN revision control systems, and deployed with Git Continuous Integration/Continuous Deployment (CI/CD).
In addition to assisting the management of the website, this position allows interaction with CAIDA researchers, who have extensive backgrounds in Internet protocols, software design and network security.
- Mastery of HTML and CSS is required.
- Experience with either Python or Perl is required.
- Experience with Git or another version control system (SVN, CVS) is required.
- Excellent proofreading skills and good command of the English language is essential.
- Must be detail-oriented, and have strong organization skills.
- Must be a currently enrolled undergraduate at a U.S. university.
- Summer and Fall quarter commitment required (with possibility for extension).
NSF Funding Requirements
- Must be an enrolled undergraduate at a U.S. university.
- Per federal funding requirements, student must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or a Permanent Resident of the United States to be eligible for this position. Please indicate your status in your application/resume.
Students with Financial Aid/Scholarships:
- Funding for this position comes as a scholarship (tuition stipend, as opposed to payroll), spread out in installments, and therefore will go directly to the Financial Aid office for processing. Under no circumstances can we make a direct payment to an REU student. Before taking the position, we highly recommend that you talk with your financial aid advisor to ensure your eligiblity to receive this scholarship and that it will not adversely impact your financial aid package currently or in the future.
- Please be advised that while participating in the REU program, students are not eligible to be employed in any position by the University of California. This would be considered a hiring violation for the university, and may jeopardize receipt of your REU stipend.
To be considered for this position, you must apply through Job #6646630.
Proposed Student Projects
We have a list of opportunities for students to participate in CAIDA research projects. We hope these projects looking for students can attract those interested in working at the forefront of Internet development, measurement, modeling, and research.
CAIDA supports a sabbatical program for Internet engineers, vendors, researchers, and faculty to take a brief respite from their normal day-to-day engineering, product development, or teaching duties, in order to lend their expertise to the advancement of larger Internet evolution issues.