Jobs at CAIDA
COVID-19 Update: Between June 1 and September 1, employees will gradually be invited to return to campus for on-site work. Visit UC San Diego’s Retun To Learn portal for the latest information for the campus community.
For the time being, all hiring will be done remotely, and work will be done on a hybrid schedule.
Career Job Postings
Postdoctoral Research Opportunities
If you have a specific project in mind that you’d like to collaborate with CAIDA on, you are welcome to submit your CV along with any materials (publications, code samples, references, etc) that would help us evaluate you for a postdoctoral research position here. Please send these materials along with a cover letter detailing the specific CAIDA projects in which you have interest to email@example.com
Graduate Student Internship Projects
Intern applications are currently accepted. In most cases, intern positions involve intensive coding for simulations of network models, and analysis of real network data. Successful interns may be later re-hired as postdocs.
Please also see our list of projects looking for students to see some work we’re hoping to get help on.
To apply for graduate student internship projects, send a cover letter (including a brief description of interests and skills) and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Student Job Postings
Undergraduate applications for available postings should be submitted through Handshake for consideration.
Per federal funding requirements of the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program, students must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or a Permanent Resident of the United States to be eligible for REU positions.
Filing Deadline: Sunday, February 6, 2022
Throughout the academic year, with possibility of extension
The Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA) is seeking a full-stack Web application developer. Under supervision of researchers in the center, the student will be involved in designing and developing a crowdsourcing-based platform for Internet Quality of Experience (QoE) measurement. This platform enables end-users to easily participate in various Internet measurement tasks.
- Optimize the platform to support hundreds of simultaneous users
- Develop new functionalities for the platform
- Improve the design and User Experience (UX) of the platform
- Customize and integrate open-source web applications/libraries into the platform
- Enhance the functionalities of the platform, such as connecting the platform to social networks
- Process and analyze the measurement results
The student will work closely with researchers in CAIDA and will get valuable experience working with the collected datasets. They will participate in various CAIDA research and technical activities.
- Experience in database systems (preferably MongoDB) for Web applications
- Experience using version control systems (e.g. CVS, SVN, GitHub)
- Familiar with the UNIX-based environment
- Great attention to detail
- Write clean, portable, and well-documented code
- Basic knowledge of networking
- Experience in Node.js or other JS-based web application frameworks (e.g., Meteor and ReactJS)
- Knowledge of Golang
- Experience in video streaming libraries (e.g. dash.js and video.js)
- Experience in video conferencing softwares and APIs
- Experience in using data APIs (e.g., RESTful, GraphQL)
- Experience in social network APIs, including Google, Facebook, Twitter API
NSF Funding Requirements
- Must be an enrolled undergraduate at a U.S. university.
- Per federal funding requirements, student must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or a Permanent Resident of the United States to be eligible for this position. Please indicate your status in your application/resume.
Students with Financial Aid/Scholarships:
- Funding for this position comes as a scholarship (tuition stipend, as opposed to payroll), spread out in installments, and therefore will go directly to the Financial Aid office for processing. Under no circumstances can we make a direct payment to an REU student. Before taking the position, we highly recommend that you talk with your financial aid advisor to ensure your eligiblity to receive this scholarship and that it will not adversely impact your financial aid package currently or in the future.
- Please be advised that while participating in the REU program, students are not eligible to be employed in any position by the University of California. This would be considered a hiring violation for the university, and may jeopardize receipt of your REU stipend.
To be considered for this position, you must apply through Job #5844213.
Proposed Student Projects
We have a list of opportunities for students to participate in CAIDA research projects. We hope these projects looking for students can attract those interested in working at the forefront of Internet development, measurement, modeling, and research.
CAIDA supports a sabbatical program for Internet engineers, vendors, researchers, and faculty to take a brief respite from their normal day-to-day engineering, product development, or teaching duties, in order to lend their expertise to the advancement of larger Internet evolution issues.