Jobs at CAIDA
COVID-19 Update: Between June 1 and September 1, employees will gradually be invited to return to campus for on-site work. Visit UC San Diego’s Retun To Learn portal for the latest information for the campus community.
For the time being, all hiring will be done remotely, and work will be done on a hybrid schedule.
Career Job Postings
Postdoctoral Research Opportunities
If you have a specific project in mind that you’d like to collaborate with CAIDA on, you are welcome to submit your CV along with any materials (publications, code samples, references, etc) that would help us evaluate you for a postdoctoral research position here. Please send these materials along with a cover letter detailing the specific CAIDA projects in which you have interest to email@example.com
Graduate Student Internship Projects
Intern applications are currently accepted. In most cases, intern positions involve intensive coding for simulations of network models, and analysis of real network data. Successful interns may be later re-hired as postdocs.
Please also see our list of projects looking for students to see some work we’re hoping to get help on.
To apply for graduate student internship projects, send a cover letter (including a brief description of interests and skills) and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Student Job Postings
Undergraduate applications for available postings should be submitted through Handshake for consideration.
Per federal funding requirements of the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program, students must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or a Permanent Resident of the United States to be eligible for REU positions.
Filing Deadline: Thursday, September 30, 2021
Summer and Fall quarter, with possibility of extension
Located at the University of California San Diego Supercomputer Center, the Center for Applied Internet Data Analysis (CAIDA) seeks a Systems Administrations Assistant. (https://www.caida.org/)
Under supervision of System Administrators at the CAIDA, the student will assist with installation and maintenance of networking hardware and software, documenting of procedures, and developing scripts to facilitate sysadmin duties.
- initial setup, software installation, testing, and security hardening of computer server systems
- helping to install network cabling systems and equipment, including installing moderately heavy servers into machine room racks.
- setting up and supporting new user accounts and workstations
- developing and maintaining scripts to facilitate daily operations of managing server systems
- troubleshooting hardware/software problems and system failures
- documenting systems and software for permanent records
The student will work closely with system administrators and researchers in CAIDA and gain valuable experience in computer networking and system administration.
- Must be an enrolled undergraduate at a U.S. university
- Working experience in a UNIX-based environment required
- Proficiency with a UNIX-based editor (e.g., vi) is required
- Proficiency in Python/Bash scripting required
- Basic knowledge of networking desired
- Knowledge of database systems (preferably MySQL or equivalent) desired
- Experience in using version control systems, e.g., SVN, Github, Gitlab desired
- Must possess excellent attention to detail and have good communication skills
NSF Funding Requirements
- Must be an enrolled undergraduate at a U.S. university.
- Per federal funding requirements, student must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. National, or a Permanent Resident of the United States to be eligible for this position. Please indicate your status in your application/resume.
Students with Financial Aid/Scholarships:
- Funding for this position comes as a scholarship (tuition stipend, as opposed to payroll), spread out in installments, and therefore will go directly to the Financial Aid office for processing. Under no circumstances can we make a direct payment to an REU student. Before taking the position, we highly recommend that you talk with your financial aid advisor to ensure your eligiblity to receive this scholarship and that it will not adversely impact your financial aid package currently or in the future.
- Please be advised that while participating in the REU program, students are not eligible to be employed in any position by the University of California. This would be considered a hiring violation for the university, and may jeopardize receipt of your REU stipend.
To be considered for this position, you must apply through Job #5184527.
Proposed Student Projects
We have a list of opportunities for students to participate in CAIDA research projects. We hope these projects looking for students can attract those interested in working at the forefront of Internet development, measurement, modeling, and research.
CAIDA supports a sabbatical program for Internet engineers, vendors, researchers, and faculty to take a brief respite from their normal day-to-day engineering, product development, or teaching duties, in order to lend their expertise to the advancement of larger Internet evolution issues.