Animated Maps of Two Days of DNS Workload for the .CL Chilean ccTLD
The DNS workload animated maps show the number of queries and clients seen by one of the .CL nameservers in Chile and its hourly variation along two days of traces beginning on July 3rd 2007 at 21:00 (UTC). The animation provides a view of the world map and colors countries based on the load that each country originates. The use of a terminator to show the sun's shadow helps depict potential diurnal patterns in the displayed data.
- Using dnscap - (link no longer available) V1.0RC4, collect queries for .CL from one nameserver for one hour
- Aggregate the queries by source address using CoralReef
- Using the aggregated reports, map each address to country using Digital Envoy's NetAcuity (TM)
- Aggregate the queries by country
- Generate the colored map using a home-grown tool
- Export the map (originally in a vector-based format) into a raster image
- Combine the hourly images into an animation
The tool prepared for this map takes aggregated data by country and colors the world map based on those values. A good metric to explore could be the number of clients indexed by the size of the address space of each country or the population.
The idea for this work was inspired by CuttleFish, however this tools colors the map on country boundaries rather than by geographic point.
Queries per minute aggregated by country seen at .CL anycast cloud
Animated version (.gif, 3.1 MB)