Traceroute Probe Method 2008-08 Dataset
This dataset is useful for studying the effects that the choice of a traceroute probing method has on the inferred IP path. Several traceroute probe methods exist, each designed to perform better in a scenario where another fails. This dataset contains traceroute paths from 8 vantage points on Archipelago to a variety of destinations using up to 6 different probing methods per destination. This is the dataset analyzed in the IMC 2008 paper, Traceroute Probe Method and Forward IP Path Inference.
Acceptable Use Agreement
Access to these data is subject to the terms of the following CAIDA Acceptable Use Agreement (printable version in PDF format)
When referencing this data (as required by the AUA), please use:The Traceroute Probe Method 2008-08 Dataset,or reference the paper
https://www.caida.org/data/active/trmethod-200808.xml.M. Luckie, Y. Hyun, and B. Huffaker,Also, please, report your publication to CAIDA.
"Traceroute Probe Method and Forward IP Path Inference",
Proc. Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), Vouliagmeni, Greece, Oct 2008, pp. 311-324,
The raw scamper warts files are freely downloadable.
You can analyze this data (available in the warts format) with the sc_analysis_dump tool included in the scamper distribution package. The source code of the exact version of scamper (scamper-cvs-20080808) used to create this dataset is available locally in the data download directory.
The sc_analysis_dump tool prints out information about each trace in an easy-to-parse textual format (one trace per line). You would typically write a perl script to analyze the output of sc_analysis_dump.
Another tool you may want to consider is the warts-dump tool, which is also included in the scamper distribution. The output of warts-dump is somewhat less easy to parse, but warts-dump prints out practically all information contained in a warts file.
- Freely Available Datasets
- The Ark IPv4 Routed /24 Topology Dataset (data older than one year only)
- The Ark IPv4 Routed /24 DNS Names Dataset (data older than one year only)
- IPv4 TNT MPLS Topology Dataset (data older than one year only)
- Ark Internet Topology Data Kits (ITDK) (data older than one year only)
- The Ark IPv6 Topology Dataset
- The Ark IPv6 DNS Names Dataset
- The IPv6 Routed /48 Topology Dataset
- IPv4 Routed /24 AS Links (September 2007 - ongoing)
- IPv6 AS Links (December 2008 - ongoing)
- AS Rank
- AS Relationships
- Skitter Macroscopic Topology Data
- Skitter Internet Topology Data Kits (ITDK) - April 2002 and April/May 2003
- Skitter AS Links (January 2000 - February 2008)
- Skitter Router Adjacencies
- AS Taxonomy
- PAM 2010 "Improving AS Annotations" Supplement
- Restricted Access Datasets
- The Ark IPv4 Routed /24 Topology Dataset (incl. most recent one year)
- The Ark IPv4 Routed /24 DNS Names Dataset (incl. most recent one year)
- IPv4 TNT MPLS Topology Dataset (incl. most recent one year)
- The Ark IPv4 Prefix-Probing Dataset (incl. most recent one year)
- Ark Internet Topology Data Kits (ITDK) (incl. most recent one year)
- Complete Routed-Space DNS Lookups
For more information on CAIDA topology measurements, see:
For more information on topology measurements in general see: